Saturday 3 September 2011

Conditioning

Chris Spealler - currently up to 151lb
and wants to add 10 more before
next year's Games.
Personal training with Paul

Barbara - 5 rft:
20 kipping pull-ups
30 push-ups
40 sit-ups
50 air squats
Time = 38:37

Apparently, with the RXed version of Barbara, you're supposed to TAKE 3 BLOODY MINUTES REST BETWEEN ROUNDS!

======

Row - 100 metre sprint:
19 seconds, 20, 19

======

I mentioned in my blog on Thursday that I didn't think I'd trained as hard or to my full potential as I would like throughout the week, due to my daily schedule being disrupted for various reasons. However, today I gave it everything I had with Barbara and felt totally knackered at the end. I never rested for 1 second more than I truly needed and kept moving as quickly as possible, so I'm very pleased with the result. Even with the rowing sprints I went as fast as I could, to the point where I was convinced I was going faster in the second and third sets. The results prove otherwise, though! A satisfying end to the week.

6 comments:

Paul French said...

I think the required version of barbara is harder....honestly. Think of it this way;

a 5km is tough, you'll be out of breath by the end, but it's managable and won't shock a regular active person. Then have that same lifter 5 sets of 1000 metre sprints, with 3 minutes rest between rounds, same total distance, but I am willing to bet that the second workout would be harder.

The rests in the required version make you sprint it, instead of pace yourself over the entire routine, I didn't make it harder for you/us, I made it easier.

Common Sense Design said...

I wouldn't say I was sprinting yesterday, but I certainly went a fast a I could in every round. None of the movements made the next one harder, but the speed with which I did, say, the push-ups left me out of breath for the sit-ups. I know it's not what you're saying, but I didn't really try to pace myself in order to conserve energy, although I think I did in the last 2 rounds of push-ups. That was the only part where I used any type of strategy.

Regardless of which version is tougher/easier, this was certainly challenging and plenty of fun. I mentioned I might try Murph on Monday, but the way I'm feeling now (Sunday) might mean I have to rethink that. I've never felt this sore from a bodyweight workout! I expected my abs to hurt, but my lats and pecs are aching, too. Only my legs aren't sore, although they are pretty tired.

Paul French said...

Maybe someday I'll try the required version, see how it comared.

Speal finally decided to gain weight I see, I guess he was tired of the heavy things slowing him down, I still believe he has a better shot at winning if he was heavier/stronger.

Common Sense Design said...

I can't believe how quickly Spealler is gaining weight, though. He's 151 now - wasn't he 148 at the Games?

Paul French said...

I remember hearing that ya, he decided to make a change from the 140 he always was before. I know Bridges is just under 160 so maybe he's trying to get closer to his stature.

Common Sense Design said...

But he's the same height as me! His upper body is going to look like an upside down triangle!

Post a Comment