Sunday 2 October 2011

5k: Run for the Cure

Team Terri 2011
Today I ran in my fourth annual Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation Run for the Cure event.  Although this wasn't a race, I tried to complete the 5k as quickly as I could. I crossed the finish line in 26:43, which is slower than my time for the New Hamburg Classic in May 2011 (25:51). I was hoping for a sub-25 minute run. My first run in this event - back in 2008 - finished in 30:09.

Madi showing off her fabulous breast cancer jewel-encrusted
ribbon tattoo, generously donated by June and Larry Zehr
of Stitch Graphix.
The running conditions today were pretty good: clear, no rain but a little chilly, which encouraged me to run fast just to keep warm. This is the first year where I started near the front of the pack, so the first 1k was pretty bunched up until some people either sped up or slowed down, which created some gaps to run through. I would have run quicker at the beginning if I hadn't been stuck in a crowd of people. I usually start the run somewhere near the back of the runners, where there's plenty of space.

The last 1k was pretty painful, as most of it was downhill. I found that harder than the flat and uphill sections of the course because I had to keep more upright, which felt awkward. It was during this part that my quads started to burn and my left knee began to hurt. The pain is starting to subside now, about 90 minutes after the run.

Still, I finished first out of Team Terri (named after Terri Schnarr, a friend's sister who died from breast cancer a couple of years ago) narrowly beating a friend whose training consists of a lot more running than mine.

The important thing is that a lot of very generous people sponsored me $430.00 for the run. That's pretty humbling.

Me with my friend, Ray. Each year we run in memory of his sister, Terri.

No comments:

Post a Comment