Thursday 1 March 2012

Full body

Bailey and Froning - what the hell do they know?
I started today with a snatch routine so I could work on my technique.

Hang power snatch:
45 (5), 65 (5), 75 (3), 85 (3), 85 (3), 90 (2), 90 (3), 95 (1)

The first set at 85lb lacked control, so even though I got the bar overhead and kept it there for two  seconds each time, my balance was poor and my feet were all over the place. I rested a couple of minutes, then tried again at the same weight. The second set was much better - and, dare I say it, elegant! I could only do 2 reps with my first set at 90lb, but I felt like I had an extra rep in me, so rested and went again, completing all 3 reps. 95lb is a PR. I tried a second rep, but couldn't get the power to move the bar higher than my stomach. Not a major accomplishment, but overall I was pleased with my form and technique. With every (successful) rep the bar ended up overhead and slightly behind me, so good positioning.

Coincidentally...

======

My metcon today was nicked from my friend Chris, who's just started CrossFit training in Brighton. Following advice from my trainer, Paul, I upped the weight for the push presses from 55lb to 85lb (roughly 38.5kg).

In 20 minutes:
Buy-in - 3 rounds of:
6 x push-press @ 85
12 x pull-ups (kipping)

Amrap in remaining time:
10 x sit-ups
10 x push-ups
10 x squats (hamstring to calf)

Score = 11 rounds plus 10 sit-ups and 8 push-ups

Bloody hell, that got tough quickly. I was - to put it in Madi's words - sweating like a meatloaf about halfway through the second part. Sweat was pouring into my eyes and stinging like acid. My time at the end of part 1 was 5:17. The first round of part 1 was nearly unbroken; I had to break after 10 pull-ups, then did the remaining 2. All the sit-ups and squats were unbroken.

I was going to rest a few minutes then attempt the CrossFit Open routine 12.1 - 7 minutes of burpees - but ran out of time. Still, that was a fun way to end the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment