Monday 2 July 2012

Full body (mostly upper)

Jessica Zelinka, who recently qualified to represent Canada in the 100 metres hurdles at London 2012.
Why do all these women have better arms and shoulders than me?!
Dumbbell snatches for time (5 per arm, alternating)
30lb = 24s
35lb = 24s
40lb = 27s
45lb = 37s
50lb = 1:17

I should probably have used a heavier weight in the later sets. My time with 50lb in the final set might make it look as if I was approaching a more challenging weight, but I inadvertently did 6 reps per arm instead of 5. A I was halfway up with my left (first) arm I thought, "Oh crap - that's #6!", but I decided to balance it out with a 6th rep with my right arm. I didn't video this routine, but I think I managed to maintain decent form without resorting to pushing out the bar overhead.

======

Bear complex x 3 (1 power clean, 1 front squat, 1 push press, 1 back squat, 1 rack jerk)
65, 85, 85 (failed the second rack jerk), 85, 85

The last time I did this - with Paul - I aimed for a touch and go between sets. I couldn't manage that today as I had to reset quickly after the rack jerk in order to get the correct grip for the power clean. I couldn't figure out why I had a problem with this until I realised that my grip for the back squats and jerks was too wide for the clean. In the last set, I kept my grip the same width - just wider than my shoulders - and that seemed to help.

======

Alternate sets:
Dumbbell military press @ 25s - 12, 11, 10, 8, 9
Chin-ups - 12, 9, 7, 7, 6

No comments:

Post a Comment